The project "Gender Audit for Theaters" was included in the top 5 best projects in the sector of performing and theatrical arts, implemented in 2020 with the support of the Ukrainian Cultural Foundation.
The aim of the research was to determine the situation of gender equality by conducting a gender audit and developing a Gender Equality Plan to ensure fairer working conditions for women and men who work in theater. The study was conducted in partnership with the M.V. Lysenko Kharkiv National Academic Opera and Ballet Theater (KhNAOBT).
The objectives of the study were as follows:
- To identify gender stereotypes in the practices and communications of management, employees of the theater, assess their impact on management decisions, including personnel ones.
- To identify the obstacles faced by women and men in their professional fulfilment in theater, investigate the discrimination on the grounds of sex.
- To clarify gender sensitivity indicators for theater.
- To identify the level of awareness of theater personnel on their rights protection tools.
- To determine the attitude of the respondents to the existing gender (in) equality in theater.
- To form directions and possible steps for creating a fairer workplace environment and developing a gender equality Plan for the theater.
In order to achieve these objectives we conducted a gender analysis, which included analysis of theater documentation and materials, staff questionnaires, 5 focus group discussions with the participation of KHNAOBT employees (ballet, opera, choir, orchestra, administrative and technical staff) and 5 in-depth interviews with the management of the theater (general director, chief director, chief conductor, production designer, conductor).
Based on the results of the research, the procedure for gender audit of the theater was developed and tested, a Gender Equality Plan for the theater was developed, and an analytical note was prepared.
The Project «Gender Audit for Theaters» was implemented in 2020 in partnership with the M.V. Lysenko Kharkiv National Academic Opera and Ballet Theater and the Yasno Research & Consulting Group with the support of the Ukrainian Cultural Foundation.